Thursday, February 25, 2010

Advantage v10 Delphi SQL Property Editor

One of my favorite new features in Advantage version 10 (beta at the end of March) is the new TAdsQuery.SQL property editor in Delphi/C++Builder. No longer will users be greeted with the default Delphi string list editor:

 

boring

 

Instead, you will see the familiar SQL Utility from the Advantage Data Architect:

 

qeditor

 

What does this mean? Now, without leaving your work flow in Delphi/C++Builder, you will have:

  • syntax highlighting
  • code templates
  • access to the query plan
  • ability to create indexes to help optimize the query
  • ability to export the query results
  • find and replace functionality
  • ability to run and preview query results
  • ability to verify query syntax
  • ability to debug SQL scripts

Write your query, preview it, and debug it. Then just click OK and the query is saved to your TAdsQuery instance. It’s all ball bearings these days.

Another cool feature is this is the exact same interface you use inside the Advantage Data Architect (ARC), no need to learn any new functionality, it will all be familiar.

To preview some of the other upcoming features in Advantage version 10 be sure to register for Chris’s upcoming webinars.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What I liked most about the default Delphi string list editor is what happens when I select the "Code Editor.." button.

Your new feature has hijacked this functionality. In my eyes it is a step backward. Is it too late for you to insert your own "Code Editor..." button?

Pete R.

J.D. Mullin said...

Hi Pete,

Nope, it's not too late. If I can figure out how to make it work I can certainly add the button. If I can't make it work then I may need to provide a second property that exposes the Delphi stringlist editor.

J.D. Mullin, Advantage Engineering Manager said...

I have added a "Code Editor..." button to the bottom right corner of the dialog. The utilities I needed to make it work only work in Delphi 2007 and newer, however. Pete, do you use an older version of Delphi?

Ray said...

excellent move, we can actually test the result set to be sure we are getting back what we expect. I see this as saving a bunch of time since I don't have to complie to see the result set from my SQL

Post a Comment