Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Object-Relational Mapping (ORM) Technology

Sharing an interesting post by Shawn Wildermuth, Are ORM’s Solving Anything. Be sure to read the comments as well for more insight from his readers.

I’m also fond of our colleague Glenn Paulley’s recent presentation, “ORMs: Friend or Foe?”, which can be found and downloaded from his presentations page.

I’ve written my own “poor man’s ORM” solutions in the past to facilitate object generation from a database result set, but have yet to fully embrace the latest generation of ORM technology. Like many developers, I’m a control freak and I love my database. Putting a middle man and smoke and mirrors between us is not fun for me. However, reducing the need to crank out endless lines of redundant data access code certainly is appealing. For writing simple applications, I really like the idea of using an ORM to just “get the job done”.

I wish the Advantage team had the resources to support all of the ORM’s currently available, but that just isn’t possible. I could name at least 7 off the top of my head, and I bet with 5 minutes of web searching I could easily find another 10.

I’m also concerned about the long term maintenance requirements. Supporting ORMs is not as basic as providing an interface to our database. We then have to deal with optimizing overly complex queries generated by the ORM (see Glenn’s presentation), record locking and visibility issues, transaction issues, etc.

For now we support the .NET Entity Framework. Hibernate and NHibernate are on our radar, but no decisions have been made yet to move forward with solutions for those frameworks. There are feature requests for both on our feedback page. I’d encourage you to vote for those or submit your own requests. Also please feel free to comment on this post to share your insights or thoughts.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you please keep us posted about any plans to support (or not to support) NHibernate? Thanks.

J.D. Mullin said...

The best way to stay informed would be to vote for the feature on our feedback site at

http://feedback.advantagedatabase.com/forums/2671-general/suggestions/93429-hibernate-support-java-?ref=title

Be sure to register with a valid email address. That way when we change the status of the request you will be notified.

zippy said...

What about Subsonic? I have used this on a MSSQL database and its amazing. Its an open source project. Here's the link. If you managed to integrate with that ORM, you would be make me one happy man!

zippy said...

Here is the link - http://subsonicproject.com

zippy said...

Do you support the Entity Framework 4 so you can do LINQ queries against the Advantage database?

J.D. Mullin said...

Our existing 9.1 driver supports LINK to Entities. Our version 10 driver (in beta at the end of the month) has support for VS2010, .NET 4.0, and the additional improvements Microsoft is adding to the Entity Framework.

Post a Comment