Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Book Review – The Pirate’s Dilemma by Matt Mason

I attended the Business of Software Conference last year and had the pleasure of watching Matt Mason give a presentation. You can view it here. The presentation, while not directly related to software piracy (although he does his best to incorporate it), is thought provoking and very interesting. Matt is a talented individual.

When his book The Pirate’s Dilemma came out I bought a copy. The book is full of examples of piracy from punk rock to patent law, graffiti, the recording industry, pharmaceuticals and more.

I felt like there was more story telling going on than actually linking the stories together to make a point, but the truth is the stories were all very entertaining and most could stand on their own quite well. Still, I felt a bit lost as I jumped from story to story, wondering if things were going to come together in the final chapter.

The final chapter didn't really provide the "Ah Ha!" wrap-up I was hoping for, but the book is a quick read, has a lot of fun stories, and helps you view all forms of piracy from a different perspective.

On my book review scale (1=skip it, 2=bookmobile, 3=buy it) I give this book a 2.

The next book on my night stand is from two authors who obviously couldn’t agree on a book title: Hard Facts, Dangerous Half-Truths & Total Nonsense, Profiting from Evidence-Based Management

On Standby: The Illusions of Entrepreneurship

No comments:

Post a Comment